Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

French Lilac

After long and hard internal debate about the type of aromatic flowering shrub that I would put in my yard's only semi-sunny spot I ordered French Lilac. Partially because it is hardy and drought resistant, and partially because it would remind me of my homeland, Russia. Lilac grows next to the building where I grew up, and all around my hometown... I miss it very much.

The lilac will hopefully become an impressive bush sometime down the road, but as of right now, it is a pair of pathetic-looking twigs with 6 leaves and a few buds. It does not appear to be "growing vigorously" yet - perhaps, because it is October. I am getting worried it might die during the winter, so I decided to move it indoors. It will be my second indoor plant in ages (my first indoor plans is Aloe Vera, and I bought it just a few weeks ago). I really don't have alot of well-lit areas inside that are safe from dogs and other potential dangers, but I still think that it would be best to move it here.

The problem is - I need a tall enough and sturdy enough pot to keep the dogs away, and I think I found one, but I want the lilac to go into some kind of a container that I can pull out and replant with minimum root disturbance next Spring. So, I am on a mission to find an ecologically friendly container that  would be sturdy enough to survive 4-5 months being undergrounds and exposed to moisture and other elements, and yet hold it's shape will the time I decide to transport the plan into the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment