Search This Blog

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Monkey-grass - the first step

The first step toward my new yard is to stop the ongoing soil erosion caused by the rain water falling like a waterfall from the roof . The water falls hard on the patio and the soil by our chimney, then runs downward toward the carport, and pools by the back gate, lifting hefty amount of soil in the process and creating a deep mud puddle by the gate each time it raines.

We have inquired with our HOA about installing some gutters, so we could divert the rainwater from the roof into a rainbarrel. They said they will look into this. In the meantime, given that more rainy weather is on the horizon, I decided to take action and install some temporary barriers to the water flow.

Here is the ground condition that I had to start with (all the buckets around are from my "Aroma Fence" project a week earlier.



From my Environmental Science classes I have learned that roots of the plants keep the soil from eroding plus absorb water . So, I decided to plant some sturdy and fast-growing plans by the pond, where the waterfall from the roof tends to cause the most damage.

So, I rolled up my sleeves (actually, I took off my t-shirt, because it was really hot that day), and now (and $60 later) my yard has new green babies in it -  about 6 dozen monkey-grass plants. Yey!




Сегодня я сделала первый шажочек в направлении воплощения моей мечты как-нибуть восстановить вид моего заднего дворика. Первым шажочком стало замедление эрозии почвы возле прудика. Вода с нашей крыши падает с большой высоты на землю, льется по трещинам в земле вниз, к забору, и смывает на своем пути все, что попадется под руку. Таким образом, за последние 4 года у нас образовалось целое русло, по которому можно легко проследить путь течения воды. И весь чернозем смылся. Итак, план А - это засыпать русло землей, выровнять уровень почвы, установить барьеры для воды, нанести нового почвенного покрытия, и засадить кучу небольших растений там, где вода, скорее всего, будет пытаться проникнуть.

Для моего плана я выбрала несколько небольших бревен, и где-то 60 кустиков "обезьянней травы", которая очень быстро растет и закрепляется в земле. Посмотрим, как они продержатся после первого дождя.

No comments:

Post a Comment